Cast

Book by Allan Knee Music by Jason Howland
Lyrics by Mindi Dickstein
Based on the novel by Louisa May Alcott

Friday, January 24, 2014

Little Women... Autobiographical fiction?

Hi! Amber here. I'm the dramaturg for Little Women. In other words, I'm the resident nerd. Little Women is the perfect show for me to put my nerdiness to good use because I started studying the Alcott family long before Tiffany asked me to dramaturg her show.

The author of Little Women was an Alcott--probably the most famous of the family--Louisa May Alcott. She wrote her book, Little Women, to be based on her experiences growing up. It's a genre all its own. Autobiographical fiction? It's a two-word contradiction if there ever was one, but that's what I'd call Little Women.

See, Louisa May based all of the principle characters, the March family, on her own Alcott family. And the four March sisters are just semi-fictional representations of the four Alcott girls. Keep watching the blog. In the coming weeks, I'll post a bit about each of the Alcott girls, and explore the similarities between the characters Louisa May created within her well-loved March family and the Alcott girls.

I think that, unbelievably, those March women become even more endearing after you know about the true people from which they sprang. I hope that knowing more about them will change the experience you have when you come to see Little Women at the end of February!

No comments:

Post a Comment